Umm… I don’t know the names of flowers, but I usually like the ones… that are pretty?
So that question was asked to me about 2 months ago by my bridesmaids. I had NO IDEA. The only flowers I knew by name (and could quickly recite) were ones like roses, daises, umm… and… err…. well … hmm… let me think.
Yes, so that’s how our flower conversation started.
My awesome stellar bridesmaids put together a “Flower Ideas” googledoc, where they chose 10-15 different types of flowers, and collected photos of these flowers. Then I was given the document and asked to rank them. The first tier being the top 3 that I liked best. After doing some “flower-lessons,” I learned these things:
1. I love peonies! (and I figured out how to pronounce them…)
2. Sweet pea is a flower, not just a scent you can buy at Bath & Body Works, and no, it’s not a pea that tastes sweet.
3. I do NOT like lilies.
3b. There are 50+ types of lilies. Maybe those Calla ones aren’t too bad.
4. I do not like multi-colored flowers (I already forgot the names of them…)
5. Plant-ology (herbology??) and Flower-Studies is some SERIOUS business!! Do not make fun of it. People will kill you.
6. Just like how you can cross breed mice for transgenetic phenotypes, you can cross-breed flowers.
7. Flowers are expensive.
8. I will have a tougher time figuring out this flower business than the last time when I had to figure out the dress business.
Anyhow, I learned a ton, which is nice.
Tonight, I have an appointment with a florist. I heard that I should’ve done this much earlier… But I had no idea how to locate a florist. When I send flowers to my mother, I call a florist in Taiwan and have them sent (after looking at the images of options they have online). If I were to buy flowers for any of my graduating students, I go to a nearby florist on Rittenhouse, point at the flowers that look nice, and ask for them to be wrapped in pretty paper. I had no idea how to even approach the topic of bouquets and wedding flowers.
(Yes, I went to Telaflora.com and looked to see if I could just order all my wedding flowers online… it seemed quite a viable option!! That is, until my friends and fiance vetoed that idea…)
So, two of my girlfriends from church are taking me to the florist they used for their wedding, should be good.
Now… time to learn what the pricing will be.
I’m rolling up my sleeves to get ready for some negotiating! That’s always my favorite part! 🙂 The negotiation! 🙂 I live for that!